Sunday, February 7, 2010

Description of my internship course and summer goals/objectives: My Internship at Pinehurst No.2

Every time I think of Pinehurst, Payne Stewart comes to my mine. He won the US Open Championship there in 1999, just weeks before he passed away in a plane accident.

Hole 9, par 3
Pinehurst Resort is located in North Carolina, and is one of the golf courses in the rotation for hosting USGA events. The next major events will be back-to-back US Open and US Women Open Championships, during the second and third week of June of 2014, just a little more than 4 years from now.

Pinehurst Resort must be a pretty big place, because there are 8 golf courses. The championship course is course No. 2. All the golf courses are named from No.1 to No. 8.

Pinehurst Nº2 is planted to Tifway Bermuda tees and fairways, Common Bermuda in the roughs, and “Penn G-2” bentgrass greens. Major renovation in recent years have been: Penn G-2 bentgrass greens in 1998-1999 and in 2004 they added 100 yards to the course’s length, as well as bunker repair.

Ben Crenshaw, Masters Champion and I
Donald Ross built Nº2 golf course in 1907. There have been redesigns over the years, but all done by Mr. Ross himself.

My goal during my internship at Pinehurst is to know as much raw knowledge as possible about the equipment, mechanics input, fertilization practices,  water management. I also hope to spend quality time with the Coore & Crenshaw renovation project.

My objective is to gather as much information as possible to learn, obviously, but also for the 50 to 70 pages internship report that I have to write next semester, as part of the requirement for the six month internship at Penn State.

No comments:

Post a Comment